If you are based in the UK, the Pacific Northwest, New England or elsewhere with a similar climate, you will no doubt be all too familiar with the need to take extra steps and precautions for your motorcycle winter storage.
Here we look at what steps should you take and some of the products recommended in preparing and storing your motorbike over the winter months.
1 – One of the main reasons for starting problems encountered when the first rays of spring occur is a build-up of deposits, oxidation and corrosion in the fuel system during long periods of storage.
Before finally putting your motorcycle under wraps, add a good quality carb and fuel system cleaner such as in Europe or Red Line Fuel System Cleaner in the US, and take a last 10 mile ride.
This will help clean through the carburetor and fuel system and protect it from the build-up of deposits and corrosion. Next…
2 – Give your motorbike a good pre-winter detailing. We recommend a thorough clean and degrease with a good quality bike wash. Quality brands include S100, Muc-Off and Autoglym.
No products found.
If you have a leaf blower these can always come in handy at this point, provided there is no dirt or dust in them or use good quality microfibre drying towel.
4 – Spray your bike with a corrosion protectant to help protect it from any damp during the winter period. There are a wide range of products available for this including Muc-Off Motorcycle Protectant (UK/US) or S100 Corrosion Protectant Spray (US).
5 – If chain driven, give your chain or a thorough clean with a chain cleaning solution to remove any build-up of grease, muck and dust. A specially designed Chain Cleaning Brush comes in very handy at this point and makes a usually awkward job that much easier.
No products found.
6 – Apply a coating of dry chain lube to your chain. The choice of dry lube ensures that you do not get any dust build-up and sticking to your chain over the winter period. Three excellent motorcycle dry chain lubes include Muc-Off Dry Chain Lube , Profi Dry Lube , and .
At this stage and if time allows we would also recommend an oil flush and filter change as part of your motorcycle winter storage regime.
7 – Next clean and check the tightness of your battery terminals and apply a coating of terminal protectant such as Wurth CU 800 . Consider protecting your battery with a Deltran Battery Tender .
Unlike standard battery chargers these clever devices can be kept attached to the battery during the whole winter period and use clever electronics to constantly monitor your batteries charge and condition and apply just the right amount of charge to keep it in optimum condition and pro-long the life of the battery.
- STAY CHARGED: Provides a full charge to your machine’s battery before switching to float mode to maintain proper voltage levels for safe, long term storage without overcharging or damaging the battery. Input: 100 to 240VAC @ 50/ 60 Hz
- EASY TO USE: Low maintenance designed to be quick and easy to use, our universal power sport vehicle 12 volt battery charger and maintainer is compact and lightweight to operate everywhere, even in small storage spaces
- EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE: Compatible with lead-acid, flooded, and sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell) to be ideal for use in long term storage to provide and maintain an optimal charge. Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode.
- MONITOR POWER LEVELS: Solid state two-color LED light indicates the state of the charge and if the battery voltage drops too far under load, ISM adaptive charging will resume full charger outputReverse Polarity Protection to ensure user safety. Red & Green Lights Alternately Flash in this condition.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Our smart 12 volt battery charger charger and maintainer is spark proof during lead connection and automatically detects reverse polarity to ensure a correct, locked-in connection before providing power.
It will also ensure that your battery is in perfect condition for that first start of spring next year.
8 – You are now ready to put your bike into storage for the winter. The final step is to ensure your tyres are not resting permanently on concrete to avoid the danger of them cracking or rotting in one spot.
If you do not have any motorcycle stands consider resting them up on pieces of wood instead. And finally, cover with a good quality breathable motorbike cover as the last step in your motorcycle winter storage process.
- 【Universal Fit】 - Favoto motorcycle cover is universal and fits various motorcycles. It fits for Harley, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, Aprilia and etc. Fits up to 96.5inches in length motorcycles.
- 【Quality 210D Fabric】- Favoto motorcycle cover is made of 210D oxford fabric, silver coating inside, greatly reduce the damage of sun rays; It helps protect your motorcycle’s varnish from rain, heat, dust, sun, scratches and etc. Especially for genuine leather seats, it can provide overall protection.
- [ UNIVERSAL FIT ] – Favoto motorcycle cover is universal and fits various motorcycles. It fits for Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, Aprilia and etc. Fits up to 104” in length motorcycles.
- [QUALITY MATERIAL] – Favoto motorcycle cover is made of premium quality polyester fabrics, silver coating inside.
- 【CAPACITY】Motorcycle lift table 320kg Lift Capacity (Both Stands) maximum which helps you for repair and maintenance jobs. Also suitable for long term storage
- 【MATERIAL】 Manufactured from 32mm steel tube. Extra heavy-duty construction, Lightweight, Nylon wheels for ease of use and portability
Applying these steps should ensure that your bike is safely stored over the winter period and protected from the extremes of winter temperatures and the long period of standing, ready to be enjoyed again next spring.
So now your bike is safely tucked away for the winter the likelihood is you’ll be back to 4 wheels. Take a look at our guide on how to prepare, protect and care for your car during Winter.
Over To You
Have you got your own tried and test tips for winter motorcycle storage? We’d love to hear about them. Please share in the comments below.