If you are based in the UK, the Pacific Northwest, New England or elsewhere with a similar climate, you will no doubt be all too familiar with the need to take extra steps and precautions for your motorcycle winter storage.
Here we look at what steps should you take and some of the products recommended in preparing and storing your motorbike over the winter months.
1 – One of the main reasons for starting problems encountered when the first rays of spring occur is a build-up of deposits, oxidation and corrosion in the fuel system during long periods of storage.
Before finally putting your motorcycle under wraps, add a good quality carb and fuel system cleaner such as Profi Fuel Max in Europe or Red Line Fuel System Cleaner in the US, and take a last 10 mile ride.
This will help clean through the carburetor and fuel system and protect it from the build-up of deposits and corrosion. Next…
2 – Give your motorbike a good pre-winter detailing. We recommend a thorough clean and degrease with a good quality bike wash. Quality brands include S100, Muc-Off and Autoglym.
3 – Ensure your bike is throughly dried off. Consider one of the specialist warm air motorcycle dryers like the Motorcycle Power Dryer in Europe, or in the US.
If you have a leaf blower these can always come in handy at this point, provided there is no dirt or dust in them or use good quality microfibre drying towel.
4 – Spray your bike with a corrosion protectant to help protect it from any damp during the winter period. There are a wide range of products available for this including Muc-Off Motorcycle Protectant (UK/US) or S100 Corrosion Protectant Spray (US).
5 – If chain driven, give your chain or a thorough clean with a chain cleaning solution to remove any build-up of grease, muck and dust. A specially designed Chain Cleaning Brush comes in very handy at this point and makes a usually awkward job that much easier.
6 – Apply a coating of dry chain lube to your chain. The choice of dry lube ensures that you do not get any dust build-up and sticking to your chain over the winter period. Three excellent motorcycle dry chain lubes include Muc-Off Dry Chain Lube , Profi Dry Lube , and Wurth High Performance Dry Chain Lube .
At this stage and if time allows we would also recommend an oil flush and filter change as part of your motorcycle winter storage regime.
7 – Next clean and check the tightness of your battery terminals and apply a coating of terminal protectant such as Wurth CU 800 . Consider protecting your battery with a Deltran Battery Tender .
Unlike standard battery chargers these clever devices can be kept attached to the battery during the whole winter period and use clever electronics to constantly monitor your batteries charge and condition and apply just the right amount of charge to keep it in optimum condition and pro-long the life of the battery.
- 12v at 1.25a
- Input Voltage: 110v Ac
- 4-step Charging
It will also ensure that your battery is in perfect condition for that first start of spring next year.
8 – You are now ready to put your bike into storage for the winter. The final step is to ensure your tyres are not resting permanently on concrete to avoid the danger of them cracking or rotting in one spot.
If you do not have any motorcycle stands consider resting them up on pieces of wood instead. And finally, cover with a good quality breathable motorbike cover as the last step in your motorcycle winter storage process.
- Capacity: 200kg Lift Capacity maximum which helps you for repair and maintenance jobs. Also suitable for long term storage and hibernation.
- Material: Manufactured from 32mm steel tube. Extra heavy-duty construction, Lightweight, Nylon wheels for ease of use and portability.
- ♥♥ SERVICE - Anytime, anywhere and anyreason,when the cover is broken, please remeber us. Favoto will offer you a new one. This Cover is universal and fits various motorcycles. It fits for Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, Aprilia and etc. Fits up to 96.5” in length motorcycles.
- 【HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL】- Favoto motorcycle cover is made of premium quality polyester fabrics, silver coating inside, greatly reduce the damage of ultraviolet rays; non-abrasive and mildew resistant; which is environment friendly as well. It helps protect your motorcycle’s varnish from rain, heat, dust, sun, scratches and etc. Especially for genuine leather seats, it can provide overall protection.
- High-quality material - The cover is made of polyester fabrics to protect against rain, dust, heat, ultraviolet rays, scratches and weathering
- Anti-theft design - This safe motorcycle cover has a keyhole that makes it easy for you to use the motorcycle lock while using the cover.
Applying these steps should ensure that your bike is safely stored over the winter period and protected from the extremes of winter temperatures and the long period of standing, ready to be enjoyed again next spring.
So now your bike is safely tucked away for the winter the likelihood is you’ll be back to 4 wheels. Take a look at our guide on how to prepare, protect and care for your car during Winter.
Over To You
Have you got your own tried and test tips for winter motorcycle storage? We’d love to hear about them. Please share in the comments below.