A blast of cold air may be the last thing on your mind at the moment, but keeping your air conditioning permanently off during winter could be storing up trouble for when the sun eventually does come out.
New research for Kwik Fit, the UK’s largest automotive repair company, has revealed that 56% of motorists keep their air-con switched off during the winter months. And for the 43% of drivers who say they turn off their air-con to save money, this could be a false economy.
Air-conditioning systems are most effective if they are used regularly, and keeping them switched off for long periods will actually reduce their efficiency in the hot weather, when they are needed most.
And if you have ever had the misfortune to get a whiff of a “smelly sock” odour, emanating from your car’s ventilation, this is as a result of a build-up of bacteria in the system over a period of not being used. And I can say from experience of my first ever car with aircon – it is not very pleasant at all. But it was a lesson I quickly learnt about keeping the aircon system regularly in use and serviced.
From the research conducted by Kwik Fit it would appear almost a third (29%) of drivers who leave their air-con off in the winter prefer to open a window or sunroof. However, driving with a window open can be less fuel-efficient than using air-con, as it creates more drag and reduces the aerodynamic properties of your car.
Ian Fraser, chief executive of Kwik Fit is quoted as saying: “Using air-con frequently helps keep it efficient, but even so, systems naturally lose gas over time and should be recharged every two years.”
Whilst Kwik Fit is currently doing a winter special offer on an air-con system recharge and lubrication and a system de-bug, which will help remove any bacteria and unpleasant odours, it is now possible to clean and de-odorize your system on your drive or in your garage with the products shown below.
The research mentioned above was carried out amongst 2000 UK adults, for Kwik Fit by ICM.
If you would like more information on car detailing, products and tips don’t forget to sign up to receive our car detailing newsletter.
- WORKS WITH MOST PLEATED CABIN AIR FILTERS – Easily snaps onto the pleats of your cabin air filter discreetly and out of sight. As soon as you turn-on your car’s cooling or heating system, the air freshener starts diffusing a balanced, subtle, natural aroma.
- EASY TO INSTALL - Simply snap the Pureflow Air Freshener directly onto the cabin air filter and insert the filter back into the housing. Your air-conditioning or heating evenly distributes fresh, scented air throughout the whole vehicle.
- PUREST FRAGRANCE – Pureflow’s patented design blends natural scents with an odor neutralizer for a clean, refreshing smell. Our air fresheners are available in a variety of pleasant, naturally inspired scents for everyone to enjoy.
- LASTS 3 TIMES LONGER – Pureflow’s advanced slow-release technology keeps your car smelling great for up to 90 days. That’s three times longer than traditional car air fresheners.
- NEW CAR SCENT - Clean hints of leather mingle with fresh and clean scent to ensure that you never forget the smell of that first ride
- Take care of that smell coming out of your vents! DWD2 Clean Air auto air conditioner cleaner effectively removes odor-causing contaminants from your car's AC
- Flash Point: -60 Degrees Celsius
- Eliminates Even The Foulest Of Odors
- Maximizes Heating/Cooling Efficiencies
- No Equipment Or Drilling Required
- Evaporator Cleaner Eliminates Air Conditioning Odors At The Source With Results That Lasts For Months
- Removes Pollen, Dust And Nicotine Film
- Water-Based And Free Of Caustic Chemicals Since It'S For Use In A Vehicle'S Cabin Area. Klima Cleaner Pro Is Also Free Of Synthetic Fragrances That Can Cause An Allergic Reaction With Some Users. We Only Use Natural Fragrances
- Helps Improve The Cooling Efficiency And Performance Of Your Air Conditioner
- 2-in-1 design: This is a dual head brush cleaning brush that you can choose from to meet your needs. The detail brush can enter all small cracks and corner end designed cleaning agents, including cleaning cloths and brushes, which can handle cleaning in different places. It is suitable for ventilation openings, car seats, etc. Perfect for both wet and dry use.
- Easy to remove: Compared to ordinary cloth, the cloth sleeve can be easily removed from small tools, which can better clean dust because the sleeve is made of ultrafine fibers, which have high water absorption, easy cleaning, and strong dirt removal ability. The cleaning cloth is detachable and can be used wet or dry.
- High quality materials: The car cleaning brush kit is made of high-quality materials, durable and washable. The bristles have high density, good elasticity, and are not easy to fall off. The car interior detail brush can quickly remove dust, making it a very suitable detail brush for wet or dry use. Protect your vehicle from wear and scratches.
- Widely used: Car seat brushes are suitable for cleaning the interior of cars, such as air conditioning vents, control consoles, instrument panels, car seats, etc. Car detail brushes are also a good helper for homes and offices, suitable for cleaning electrical surfaces, blinds, computers, keyboards, and more.
- Suitable size: This cleaner has a suitable size, small size, and won't take up too much space. It can be used in small corners that are difficult to clean and is also easy to use. This cleaning agent is suitable for ventilation openings of any size and helps to clean dust and dirt. Not only can it be used for ventilation openings, but it can also be used for keyboards, blinds, blinds, etc.